Other Places


Web Portal~>

"Awen yn codi o'r cudd, yn cydio'r cwbl"
- Waldo Williams
(Awen arising from hiding, everything binding)



Gerallt Lloyd Owen


The Welsh poet Gerallt Lloyd Owen died this week.  Here is my translation of his poem referring to the death, in 1282, of Llywelyn, a typical evocation of both the end and the beginning of Wales as it was and as it became:

Cilmeri

Right here we stepped into the dark
Llywelyn got it in the neck
This I'll never forget.

Right here in this stream
Llywelyn was seen
He stepped on this stone.

The dark falls right here
The enemy creeping near
It all happened right here.

I'm here right now
Where his hair lay on straw
Drops of blood on this floor.

Here is our memory
Here our breath breaks free
Here, just now, was our nativity.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing this translation. If I could read Welsh, I would certainly want to read more of Gyrallt's work. Very sorry to hear about his death.

    ReplyDelete

What do you think?